UNDER THE SEA CHALLENGE
A deep dive into 300 miles
Journey from the coast of your comfort zone to the depths of this nautical adventure. Over this 300-mile distance challenge, you’ll earn sea animal pins on the way to your finisher medal.
“To be honest, I’m doing this for the starfish pin. I absolutely love starfish – enough to commit to walking 300 miles to earn that last pin.”
ADDITIONAL GEAR AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE IN THE VRC SHOP
select how you'd like to receive your rewards
Check out the pins you'll be collecting as you reach each checkpoint! Complete all 300 miles to receive your medal.
Click an item from the dropdown menu below for help.
Nope. You can complete the miles in your movement method of choice. Running is great, but so is walking, hiking, dancing, swimming, rucking...
Check out our free conversion chart to see how different physical activities can be applied to this challenge.
You have through June 30, 2024 to complete this challenge! Take the time you need to reach the 300-mile distance goal.
If you prefer a more flexible timeline, we recommend opting to receive all your rewards up front during registration. Then you can earn them on your unique schedule.
Swag ships separately in the methods and timeframes listed below.
Pins & Medals
- Ship with a tracking email from firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you select autoship, pins and medals ship within a week of registration
- If you opt to report for rewards, pins and medals ship within a week of reporting their completion on the VRC mobile app
Bonus Laternfish Pins
- Ship with a tracking email from email@example.com within a week of registration
- Sent in a standard white envelope with a first class stamp
- Available to purchase through January 31, 2023
- Will arrive in mid-January for those who ordered by December 31
- Will arrive in mid-February for those who ordered by January 31
Shirts, Stickers, Mileage Trackers, & Tote Bags
- Printed on-demand and expected to arrive roughly 2 weeks after you place an order
Registration remains open at the dates and prices below while supplies last. Custom race bibs are available for purchase through January 31, 2023.
Early Bird Pricing
- Through December 15, 2022
- Report for Rewards: $125
- Autoship: $85
- From December 16, 2022 onward
- Report for Rewards: $130
- Autoship: $90
- Register by January 31 to receive custom bibs by mid-February
Your registration comes with access to the VRC mobile app to report your miles. Click here to download the app on iOS or Android, then follow the instructions below:
- Enter the email associated with your registration.
- Click the Under the Sea event.
- Select “Add Activity”.
- Enter your miles and click “Save”.
- When you reach a milestone, your freshly earned pin will pop up on your screen. Congrats! Click “Claim” and follow the prompts to receive your reward. If you opted to receive your rewards up front instead, the “Claim” button will not appear.
If you opted to report for rewards, make sure you log your miles in the VRC mobile app. Once you log enough miles in the app to reach a milestone, your freshly earned pin will pop up on your screen. Congrats! Click the Claim button and follow the prompts to receive your reward.
Reached the milestone awhile ago and still haven't gotten your reward in the mail? You may have forgotten to hit the Claim button. Here's what you need to do:
- Log back into the app.
- Click the milestone you reached, but have not yet received your reward for.
- If you forgot to hit "Claim" the first time, the Claim button will reappear.
- Click it and verify your mailing address to put your reward in our shipping queue.
Still having trouble? Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our messages come from email@example.com. Please add this address to your safe list so you're sure to get all updates.
We find some of our participants like to do multiple Virtual Running Club events at once. If you want to double-dip – that is, apply your miles to multiple events – you have our full permission to do so. Choose whatever works best for you!
There’s a special Facebook group for VRC Distance Challenges, where members share their achievements and cheer each other on. Joining the group is entirely voluntary.
Work with our friends at Wander Project and when you raise the minimum threshold for a non-profit (usually $500), Virtual Running Club will sponsor your participation in this event at no cost to you!
Learn more on the Wander Project Charity Bib Page.