How Far Will YOU Go?
Compete with teammates across the country in a 24-hour relay race that celebrates our national parks. You’ll have one hour to run or walk as far as you can.
For each mile you go, we’ll donate $1 toward public lands preservation and conservation.
Now in its third year, this installment of the Great National Park Relay puts us all on one big 24-hour relay team to see how far we can go on National Public Lands Day – together. Join from wherever you are, in honor of the park of your choice.
HOW DOES the great national park relay WORK?
Choose your favorite park to represent.
pick your time slot.
run or walk for an hour when it's your turn.
See how far we went as one big team!
what you can get when you sign up
Why join the relay?
It's a motivating way to get moving and celebrate our national parks, while connecting with racers from all over the country. But don’t just take our word for it! Here’s what previous Great National Park Relay participants have to say:
This is the first time I have ever run for a full hour without stopping. Preparing for this has gotten me in great shape. I will always be thankful for this experience. Thanks everyone for all the motivating posts!
Alley H. // 2021 participant
I'm so excited to be involved in the relay. I'm running for Mammoth Cave. Since I'm close enough, I'm going to go do a trail run at Mammoth Cave National Park!
Rebecca M. // 2021 participant
Thanks for the motivation and challenge! I love seeing everyone's posts in the group. Great job to you all! Keep moving!
Paula P. // 2021 participant
HAVE A QUESTION? LET US HELP!
Click an item from the dropdown menu below for help.
You can either run or walk this event. All paces welcome.
You have one hour on Saturday, September 24 to complete your race. You’ll be able to select your hour time slot in the registration process.
Swag ships separately in the methods and timeframes listed below.
- Ship with a tracking email from [email protected]
- If you select autoship, medals ship within a week of registration
- If you opt to report for awards, medals ship within a week of reporting race completion on the VRC mobile app
Functional Relay Batons
- Sent with a tracking email from [email protected]
- Ship within a week of registration
- Sent in a standard white envelope with a first class stamp
- Were available for purchase through August 31, 2022
- Will arrive in mid-August for those who registered by July 31
- Slated to arrive by race day for those who registered by August 31
Shirts, Stickers, & Tote Bags
- Printed on-demand and expected to arrive roughly 2 weeks after you place an order
Registration remains open up to race day – September 24, 2022 – while supplies last.
- 1Enter the email associated with your registration.
- 2Click "Great National Park Relay" to report your race completion on September 24.
- 3Select “Add Activity”.
- 4Enter your completed race distance and click “Save”. Your freshly earned medal will pop up on your screen. Congrats!
- 5Click the “Claim” button and follow the prompts to receive your reward. If you opted to receive your medal up front instead, the “Claim” button will not appear.
Yes! For every mile you cover on race day, we’ll donate $1 to Wander Project, a non-profit organization that converts passion into purpose.
Since 2015, Wander Project participants have raised over $2 million through running events, with over 95% of that money going to national park and public lands preservation and conservation.