A 400-Mile Journey through the solar system
Launch into a 400-mile journey exploring the solar system! We challenge you to run, walk, hike, swim, roll, cycle, or paddle your way through outer space in this cumulative distance challenge – no space suit required. You’ll be rewarded with planetary pins as you hit 8 milestones along the way.
The Space Race Challenge helped me walk and run more consistently than I ever have before. Every time I reached a new milestone, I looked forward to receiving my pin or medal in the mail. The long-term challenge made staying active fun, and now I've created a great habit of moving everyday.
What do I get?
Every Registration Includes:
Available add-on options:
ADDITIONAL GEAR AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE IN THE VRC SHOP
select how you'd like to receive your rewards
YOUR MISSION REWARDS
Check out the pins you'll be collecting as you reach each checkpoint! Complete all 400 miles to receive your medal.
Have a Question? Let us help!
Click an item from the dropdown menu below for help.
Nope. You can complete the miles in your movement method of choice. Running is great, but so is walking, hiking, dancing, swimming, rucking...
Check out our free conversion chart to see how different physical activities can be applied to this challenge.
You have through December 31, 2023 to complete this challenge! Take the time you need to reach the 400-mile distance goal.
If you prefer a more flexible timeline, we recommend opting to receive all your rewards up front during registration. Then you can earn them on your unique schedule.
Swag ships separately in the methods and timeframes listed below.
Pins & Medals
- Ship with a tracking email from [email protected]
- If you select autoship, pins and medals ship within a week of registration
- If you opt to report for rewards, pins and medals ship within a week of reporting their completion on the VRC mobile app
Bonus Pluto Pins
- Ship with a tracking email from [email protected] within a week of registration
Shirts, Stickers, Mileage Trackers, & Tote Bags
- Printed on-demand and expected to arrive roughly 2 weeks after you place an order
Registration remains open while supplies last.
- Enter the email associated with your registration.
- Click the Space Race event.
- Select “Add Activity”.
- Enter your miles and click “Save”.
- When you reach a milestone, your freshly earned pin will pop up on your screen. Congrats! Click “Claim” and follow the prompts to receive your reward. If you opted to receive your rewards up front instead, the “Claim” button will not appear.
If you opted to report for rewards, make sure you log your miles in the VRC mobile app. Once you log enough miles in the app to reach a milestone, your freshly earned pin will pop up on your screen. Congrats! Click the Claim button and follow the prompts to receive your reward.
Reached the milestone awhile ago and still haven't gotten your reward in the mail? You may have forgotten to hit the Claim button. Here's what you need to do:
- Log back into the app.
- Click the milestone you reached, but have not yet received your reward for.
- If you forgot to hit "Claim" the first time, the Claim button will reappear.
- Click it and verify your mailing address to put your reward in our shipping queue.
Still having trouble? Shoot us an email at [email protected]
We find some of our participants like to do multiple Virtual Running Club events at once. If you want to double-dip – that is, apply your miles to multiple events – you have our full permission to do so. Choose whatever works best for you!
Celestron has been creating groundbreaking new telescopes for over 60 years. Their StarSense Explorer telescopes make enjoying the sky a piece of cake for amateur astronomers. With StarSense patent-pending technology, your smartphone calculates your position and guides you to the object you want to see. Learn more on the Celestron website.
Work with our friends at Wander Project and when you raise the minimum threshold for a non-profit (usually $500), Virtual Running Club will sponsor your participation in this event at no cost to you!
Learn more on the Wander Project Charity Bib Page.