Dare Mighty Things
Distance: Runners choice! Make it one dared mightily!
Race Day: Now - May 18
Location: Hit the road around you! The decision is yours.
Registration Now Open!
Registration and Swag Info: Scroll down to see the swag you'll be earning and don't miss the additional swag we're adding to this race!
Front: Perseverance Rover's coded parachute.
Back: Virtual Running Club name translated into binary code, turned into another parachute.
Keepsake Printed Bib
Bib is printed on waterproof paper, so come race day, rain or shine, you can get out there and Dare Mighty Things.
Bibs are shipped regardless of whether you report a time!
This medal can "take flight" with blades that spin when held and lie flat when on display.
You will receive your medal once your report a time!
The Dare Mighty Things Challenge sticker can be placed on your water bottle, laptop, or give it to a friend to inspire them.
SWAG REGISTRATION DEADLINES
- Register by May 1 to receive your swag by May 24
- Register by May 18 to receive your swag by June 8
- Medals will start shipping in May and AFTER you've reported your finish time.
Why Dare Mighty Things?
The scientists at NASA and JPL left an inspiring message for us all in the parachute that softened Perseverance's landing on Mars. Hidden in the red and white paneling was a code spelling out "Dare Mighty Things." In the spirit of Ingenuity daring mightily, we're inspired to do the same.
In this virtual challenge, you'll test your mettle to earn your medal with an activity that embraces the "Dare Mighty Things" spirit.
On February 18, 2021, the Perseverance Rover landed on Mars. It was carrying a passenger - the Ingenuity helicopter. Ingenuity's mission is to "test the first powered flight on Mars" over the course of five progressively longer, higher flights.
It will not be an easy mission. Mars has an incredibly thin atmosphere, making it harder for Ingenuity to complete even its first, and arguably easiest, mission of hovering only a few feet over the ground for only 20-30 seconds. But that's not going to stop it from trying. And we think that's really inspiring.
Do you want to dare mightily at a Mars related distance?
Try one of these fun ideas for your race distance:
- Run, walk or roll 6.68 miles as fast as you can (668 Sols is the length of a year on Mars)
- Run, walk or roll 6.87 miles as fast as you can (687 Sols is the number of Earth days in a Mars year)
- Run, walk or roll 150.22 miles over the course of the race (Mars is 150.22 million miles from Earth)
- Run, walk or roll as far as you can in 39 minutes and 35 seconds (this is how much longer a day on Mars is than an Earth day)
- Run, walk or roll as far as you can in 61 minutes and 37 seconds (this is the length of an hour on Mars)
- Run, walk or roll as far as you can in 11 minutes